Robyn and Joel's Blog: Chronicling our Copenhagen Adventures

Yes, we're that interesting.


Sunday, July 8, 2007

People in Copenhagen


Well, its been one week and a day since we arrived in Copenhagen. We spent the day walking in Frederiksberg, a charming part of town full of gourmet food shops and tree-lined side streets. This also happens to be where I work. More on that later...

We walked for several hours and happened upon a wedding in what has to be one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen. It was as charming as could be. I wanted to take a picture but because the wedding party was out in front of the church, I thought we should keep our voyeurism to a minimum :)

I thought I would take this opportunity to tell you about the people of Copenhagen. Granted, we have only been here a week, but we've encountered a number of people. And, to no one's surprise, just like other large cities, there are people of all types in Copenhagen: fat, short, tall, thin, pretty, less-pretty, and everything in between. But, most Danes are quite beautiful and very stylish. For example, take the gentleman "enjoying" the fountain near our house. We were on our way to take care of our cell phone contracts and we discovered this spectacle. Evidently, some young male Danes like to down a few beers, don their best pink skirt, and entertain tourists by frolicking gleefully in a fountain. Just another day in Copenhagen!
Danes, at first, may appear less friendly than we are used to in America. You don't smile at strangers you encounter in the streets and if you accidentally bump someone in the store, you don't apologize or say excuse me. But, if you talk with a Dane you will immediately encounter their friendliness and willingness to help you. I am very impressed with how well most Danes speak English. In fact, today was the first time we had any difficulty trying to purchase anything because the clerk did not speak English.
Joel's colleagues have been very friendly. I met a few when I visited his office and they were very generous with their time and conversation. Pia, the centre secretary was especially helpful when she translated the washing machine manual for me! I am still not sure how to use the washer (it is brand new and quite sophisticated!) but that is another story. Simon, the student worker, helped us sign up for our Internet (the website is in Danish -- most websites have English versions) and explained how to get to IKEA by bus.

So, I guess you can say that we are getting by with a little help from our new friends.
I thought I would end this blog with a picture that is the classic picture of Copenhagen. Joel and I walked down to the canals two nights ago and it was a beautiful sight. The sun was just beginning to set (it was about 9:30 at night!) and the light really highlighted the colors of the buildings. Copenhagen is an amazing city!


No comments:

Contributors