Robyn and Joel's Blog: Chronicling our Copenhagen Adventures

Yes, we're that interesting.


Monday, December 10, 2007

Darn Dark

Well, I took my bike in for its 2 month “tune-up.” I pick it up tomorrow morning. I miss it already. I can’t tell you how much I love to ride – even in all kinds of weather. Believe it or not, wind is the biggest challenge. I can handle rain, sleet, and even snow (although, I would wear a pair of goggles to keep the water out of my eyes except for the fact that I would look totally ridiculous). But, the wind is my biggest foe. A good strong gust can stop me dead in my tracks! I can’t wait for it to get a bit warmer… who knows… maybe I will bike across Denmark!

It’s been a while since I last blogged. It’s not that we’ve been bored… we’ve been very busy with work and social events. But, I do feel a winter melancholy settling in. I am normally very chipper around the end of the semester and Christmas, but I just can’t shake the feeling of melancholy. I have to attribute this feeling to the darkness. I can’t explain how dark it is here. The sun rises in the morning around 8:30-9 and then starts to set around 2:30-3. The worst part is that it is cloudy/rainy most days, which means it feels like the sun never really rises. My Danish colleagues tell me I should just like candles in my flat. I am all for candles, but seriously… how many candles can a girl light before her whole flat catches fire! And, candles are pretty, but they don’t replace the sun!

I remember when Joel and I first arrived in Copenhagen and we would walk at 10:00 at night. The street lights would just start to flicker on. We wondered what it would be like in December. Now we know… it is darn dark!

No comments:

Contributors