Robyn and Joel's Blog: Chronicling our Copenhagen Adventures

Yes, we're that interesting.


Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Shawarma love revisited

Regular readers of this blog know that I love shawarma. In fact, my last post talked about this love at some length. I could have said more. Believe me. 'cause I really love my shawarma, ya dig? 

Sadly, there is a dark side to love in all its myriad forms. And shawarma love is no exception. A friend recently drew my attention to a disturbing shawarma-related article, which can be found here.

(Live hyperlinks in this blog seem to "die" when published via Facebook notes, so those reading from Facebook can do things the old-fashioned way and cut 'n paste this URL: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7852168.stm)

The takeaway is this: "naked" shawarma--i.e., pre-mayonnaise, salad dressing, and all the other fixin's that make already-awesome shawarma even awesomer, not to mention the greasy fries needed to complete the meal--already contains nearly a day's worth of calories and two day's worth of salt and fat. Oh, and most of the time all sorts of unnamed "you don't wanna know about it" meats are unceremoniously crammed together into those sinewy slices of heaven that bring my life meaning and purpose. In other words, you're simultaneously munching on about five species with each bite. 

Love hurts. Shawarma love, evidently, really really hurts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm hooked....sign me up....I want to love the shawarma too :)

Saw you on Facebook Joel and thought I would look you up. Seeing that you are still living the dream in Copenhagen...well.....it makes me cry really. We'll go with these are tears of joy for you and the missus....I wouldn't enjoy living in Europe anyway.....but I hear shawarma is good this time of year...wink

hope you both are well. Watch out for meteors...toodles

Contributors